Tuesday 30 December 2014

The Library is Open




As I find myself of reflecting on another year I came to think of the many interests and hobbies I have had in my 27 years on this planet. Indeed I thought of how much they have changed and fluctuated as time has passed. That is except for two which still continue to be the most important things I have in my life, namely my love of good books and my fervent desire to write. 

I have been blessed to work as a writer for a number of online publications as well as a short stint as an intern at the great British institution that is GT. In that time I have been awarded the responsibility of being a literature editor and an editor-in-chief, and the pleasure of reviewing great books which I have loved and treasured long after I moved on to the next story. So then as I decided what I would do to mark a new year the idea to start my own book review blog seemed so amazingly obvious I was surprised I did not think to do it before.

So it was that a week ago I sat down and I penned the title of my new blog and named it The Empty Library. 

Some people might find the name a little odd or nihilistic, after all what is more depressing than a library that is devoid of books? But I say that this is the definition of pessimism against optimism. After all while an empty bookshelf might seem strange to some, I see it as an opportunity to fill it with new stories and books that can entertain, thrill and maybe even change your life. So what would that mean if I could fill a library with such stories and then be able to tell people about the amazing books I have had the chance to read? Well I tell you now, I think it would be pretty awesome, don't you?

Thanks to my time as an editor I have been able to work with the amazing site Netgalley and a number of publishers and authors who have shown me their work with excitement. It seems only right then to continue that relationship forward to my new blog and start a new chapter in my journey to become a writer. It is also a great opportunity to try out genres I have never read before, and authors I have never even heard of before now. So if you, like me, are a great book lover then please come back and visit some time as I read and review books and tell you what you need to have on your bookshelf.

As a writer myself I may also pepper the library with some short stories of my own, and a few personal entries to let you get to know the man behind the blog and what I do when I'm not reading or writing. 


So now the time has come to open up the empty library and let it fill up with stories galore. Check back often for book reviews and news and a little personal flavour to go with it... and by flavour I really mean wine...

Catch you soon book lovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment